Friday, March 26, 2010

A Stand Up Day on the Crooked Straight River


I got home Thursday night with enough time to ride with the Owatonna Group. I was a good ride. It was a great night for a ride but I found myself mind wanting to go a little faster than my body could deliver. (Now that I think about it, that is usually the way it works for me :-). Todd was in good form, setting the pace on his XC bike. I was trying to keep him insight on my road bike.

While we were riding, Dave asked if I wanted to paddle with him on Friday, and I decided that I would give my new SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) a try. It is possible that a 30 mile 6 1/2 hour paddle might be a little far for the first paddle of the year, but It did give me a good feel for the new board and gave me a couple of ideas for future modifications.



I also learned a couple things about SUP's on rivers. I stared out with a 4.5 inch fin but found that it did not help the tracking enough so I switched to the 6 fin still pretty small by SUP standards. It helped the tracking but it still was a little like paddling a whitewater C-1 (tends to go in a circle) My fear about using a surfboard fin turned out to be correct. The problem is that with a rigid fin sticking down below, impacts with rock throw you right off the board.

I was thrown from the board twice in rapids, and once from my general clumsiness. This is definitely going to be a helmet, shin guard, knee pads, elbow pads kind of actively.

2 comments:

  1. SCOTT GOOD TO SEE THAT YOU ARE GETTING OUT ON THE ROAD AND THE RIVER.
    WHAT ARE SOME OF THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN STANDING AND SITTING ON YOUR BOAT/BOARD? BESIDES THE MOST OBVIOUS.
    JOHN

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main difference is that standing up going through a rapids is a little like skiing down an icy cross country ski trail-- you just have to not think about how it will hurt when you fall

    ReplyDelete