Monday, February 9, 2009

On the Strongback


Well, actually only one of the boats is on a strongback, the other is a plywood boat and has no need of such support. I am building two boats this winter (at least so far) The first is a little 8' 6" surf kayak. It is a Nick Schade Design. It is the 8th Guillemot kayak I have built but it is the first time I have made a stitch and glue boat so that has been a new experience for me. The plans said not to substitute plywood thinner than the 4mm Oukume they recommended, but I already had 3mm and I have never really followed the letter of the law with that sort of thing. So far it has went together well the puzzle joint were a little tricky to cut out. I glassed the inside with extra heavy 8oz cloth (perhaps that will make up for the thin plywood!) Next step, joining the top and the bottom. That looks a lot easier on this little shorty than on the usual 18 footers I make.

The second boat is an 18 foot canoe designed by John Winters called the cirrus. It is an asymmetrical design without much rocker and a concave section near the stern. I should really track well from the looks of it It has tapered stems, and like most strip boats, it is going to be a beauty. I have all of the strips on and I am starting to fair the hull.

1 comment:

  1. I really think you should have made the canoe with a clear fiberglass bottom so I can warn you of any big boulders up ahead. I really don't want to be responsible for the kind of damage Linnea and I did to the Old Town last summer. Remember?

    ReplyDelete