Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Nice Day in Finchford

I did not really commit to doing the Finchford race till a day or so ago. It was looking like there might not be enough people to help at the corners, so I made that my first priority. By Friday it looked like there was going to be enough so I decided to ride with the Cat 5's. So I rode the 9:00 race and then worked the corners for the next 2 races.

The race was good the first lap, then I got behind a crash, and had to stop long enough that I could not catch the pack again. So I made a couple of laps by myself until some of the others that were held up by the crash caught me and together we caught the guy who fell off the pack that I was trying to catch by myself for most of those 2 laps. They all out sprinted me to the finish, but the race felt pretty good all the same.

After That I spend the rest of the day on Corner 2, trying my best to stop traffic coming from the south so that the rider who went wide on the corner (that would be most of them) would not hit a motor vehicle. Wow that is a dance in its own right. Judging when to stop the cars and when to let them through is not always easy, and while most of the drivers were very understanding, one in particular did not think much of having to wait 30 seconds for the Cat 3 riders to clear the corner. Oh well the old adage that says "you only have one chance to make a good first impression" is certainly true for me with respect to Corn Belt Builders. . . (sometimes having a sign on the side of your truck is not an advantage.)

Finchford Roubiax Data

1 comment:

  1. Scott -
    Good racing and help on the corner was just the best - I didn't hear one mishap with the with the corner marshals. And that family of your - what a contribution you all make. They cheered me on like I was part of the family.
    John

    ReplyDelete