Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Back to the Intensity

I had planned to do the Ironman century ride yesterday, but the weather was cold, wet, and windy so Kathy and I stayed home.

As of today our training plan has us back into the intervals. Doug joined Kat, John and I today we started with 5x15 second max effort intervals into the wind, then 5x15 on the Walnut street hill, then 2 5x15 sets on Lookout hill. That makes 20. The thing about these short intervals is that it can be hard for me to mentally push myself to max effort when I am a little less than completely motivated (as was the case today), and they are so short a pulse monitor does not really give much of an indication of effort the way it does with a longer interval.
John and Doug

On the frame building front, I am continuing to fair and pull the foam into shape. The other home build CF frames I have seen have straight chain and seat stays. In this design they are bent. I cut them to shape but needed to find a way to make them both symmetrical and bring them to the right curve. To do this I laminated a 3/4" strip of 4 oz S-cloth (lightweight, fiberglass) to the inside of the chain stay, and them used blocks to push them into a wooden form that I cut to the right curve.

After the Resin set, it looks like this worked!! Now I will haveto repeat this with the seat stays.






2 comments:

  1. more bike building stuff arrived yesterday, what looks like some carbon fiber and a big, flat-ish box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good riding yesterday and today. The beauty of the short intervals is that you can work your muscles very very hard without taxing the heart and lungs ... as hard.
    John

    ReplyDelete