Sunday, April 19, 2009

My First Criterium

Today I did my first criterium today at Eagle Point park in Dubuque IA today. The last time I did anything close was when we used to race on Tuesday Nights in Fargo, and that was 30 years ago! The good news is that I did not crash or cause any crashes, the not so good news was that I was 7th out of 8. But hey I was the oldest Cat 5 rider there today, 20-30 years older than most (notice how I can put a good spin on even the most unimpressive of results). Actually it was a lot of fun. I ended up pulling the second oldest rider around the course for most of 8 laps and then he out sprinted my at the finish, but what the heck, I really just do this sort of thing for my mental health!

The really interesting thing for me today was my heart rate. It was consistant for 35 minutes at almost 180, and during the sprint at the end it was 191. Wow I did not know the old thing would still beat that fast!! My heart rate data for today. This means lactate threshold is probably higher than the 169 I have been using this spring.

We had 6 riders from the Bike Tech team at Eagle Point today, this is my friend Mike leading in the Cat 4 race:

1 comment:

  1. Scott - glad to find this site. Very good racing yesterday and the data from the evaent is fascinating.
    Rest week - we'll so some easy riding...
    John

    ReplyDelete