Saturday, April 25, 2009

a Nice Ride and Some Metal Work

Today was cold and wet. It is suppose to be colder, and wetter, and windier tomorrow so we probably will not be doing the Ironman century ride. there was a break in the weather this afternoon and Kathy and I were able to get out for a nice low intensity 35 mile ride.

On the bike frame front I put together a jig to hold the foam core while I laminate the Carbon Fiber. I modified the basic plan for the jig that Marc Pfister posted on Instructables. He entitled it "The Simplest Bicycle frame Building Jig I could come up with." His jig is really designed for welding or brazing a frame. Mine is not quite as simple as his, I modified it to have a more clearance to get the carbon cloth on the backside. I am still figuring out the fixtures that I will use to hold the foam is place at the seat post, headset tube, bottom bracket shell, and the rear dropouts. I am thinking I will cover it with plastic wrap before I use it. so that all of the nice adjustment features of this design do not find themselves expoxied in place.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see the story of the carbon frame continued. This is really exciting stuff. Whether it works or not - what an interesting experiment.
    We had some decent racing at Iowa City - not great, but it was fun and a great work out and we certainly got to see some really great racing/racers
    John

    ReplyDelete